For my company, I recently had to find a good solution to make Snapshots from Instance IDs or from tags on AWS. I made several searches but unfortunately didn’t find what I was searching for.
That’s why I started to make a tool to do this kind of job. It’s written in Python and requires the Boto library. Here is what you can do with Simple EC2 snapshots:
- Hot snapshots (by default) and Cold snapshots
- Multiple instances snapshot in one line
- Detection of doubles
- Filters by tags (allowing wildcards) or by instance IDs
- Credentials file multiple with profiles
- Limit the number of snapshots
- Restrict snapshots to data disks only
The tool is open source and can be downloaded on GitHub :-). I-d like to thanks my RedHat/eNovance colleagues for different kind of contributions (code, testing, features purpose, etc…)
More features are already planned and should be ready in a few days!!
I hope you’ll enjoy it too 🙂